Alonzo Leonidas Moore

Male 1844 - 1911  (66 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name Alonzo Leonidas Moore 
    Born 4 Jun 1844  Lowndes County, Mississippi Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Buried Mar 1911  Ingleside Cemetery; Hondo, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 24 Mar 1911  Hondo, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Person ID I6708  My Genealogy
    Last Modified 22 Feb 2020 

    Father Daniel Boone Moore,   b. 5 Apr 1805, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 2 Apr 1889, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Emily Lincecum,   b. 1813, Georgia, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1884, Devine, Medina, Texas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Married 16 Jul 1830  Lowndes, Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [2, 3, 4
    Family ID F2411  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Sally Simmons,   b. 1865 
    Married 1890 
     1. Delia Moore,   b. Nov 1890, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Feb 2020 
    Family ID F2207  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Cynthia Viola McCombs,   b. 14 Jun 1845, Florida Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Dec 1884, Hondo, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 39 years) 
    Married 27 Dec 1864  Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Mary Leona Moore,   b. 1865, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Jul 1899, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 34 years)  [natural]
     2. Henry Moore,   b. Mar 1868, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     3. Emilia Moore,   b. Between 1869 and 1870, Kerr, Texas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
     4. Gazie Moore,   b. Nov 1883, Medina County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Feb 2020 
    Family ID F2335  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • - Per the pension application for Lon Moore, dated 04 January 1907, he served in the Confederate Army in Captain Montello's Company from April 1864 until approximately April 1865.

      - Late in life, Lon was paralized on the left side. He could not use his left leg or arm. He attributed this condition to exposure and being shot in the left arm in a fight with Indians during the Civil War. [website Ancestors of Dannye L. Schmitt: 5th generation]

      - Texas Indian Fighters, by A.J. Sowell / Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas, originally published in 1900, describes Indian fights and the activities of the famous Texas Rangers in detail. Sowell interviewed pioneers of the western frontier and presents their first-hand recollections.

      Born in Texas in 1844

      Mr. Alonzo Moore, better known as Lon, was born in Prairie Lea, Caldwell County, Texas, in 1844. His father, Daniel Boone Moore, came there in 1843, and built the second house that was built there. The first one was built by Captain James H. Calahan, one of the survivors of Fannin's massacre, and who led and expedition into Mexico in 1855. The elder Moore helped to build Captain Calahan's house, and then built his own soon after. Daniel Boone Moore, father of Lon, was born in Kentucky, and was a cousin of the famous Daniel Boone, the first pioneer of the "dark and bloody ground," and for whom he was named. Lon Moore's mother was a Linscomb, and was a cousin of Col. James Bowie, who died with Travis and his heroes in the Alamo, so Lon has distinguished ancestors on both sides of the house. He has one brother named Haywood Travis and another Rezin Bowie, the latter named for a brother of Col. James Bowie. Cull is another brother and all are old time Texans and Indian fighters. Lon Moore is a plain, unassuming, western stockman, and no one in the West is better known than he and his erstwhile boon companion, "Seco" Smith. Many nights have these two spent around the campfire on the frontier, scouting for Indians and stock hunting. Daniel Boone Moore came to the Hondo with his family in 1852, and settled in Medina County ten miles south of the Hondo City, the present county seat of Medina County, at what is now called the Lon Moore crossing on the Hondo River. The elder Moore was an old time Indian fighter, and died at Devine in 1892.

      When Lon was 12 years of age the Indians made a raid down the Hondo Valley, and men were gathering to follow them. Lon, although so young, had the spirit of a frontiersman and Indian fighter, and mounting his horse with a long old rifle went with the crowd, then in number, who soon got on the trail and followed it rapidly. Among the men were Big Foot Wallace, captain Tom Hale, Manuel Wydick, Howard Bailey, Henry Adams, and Lon. The others cannot now be remembered. They over took the Indians at the Presidio crossing of the Hondo. They had fifty head of horses, but abandoned them at sight of the white men and made a poor fight. They lost two killed and soon ran and scattered, and the settlers rounded up the horses and drove them back. Lon fired his rifle, but does not know if he hit an Indian or not.

      In the early 60's the Indians made another extensive raid and killed many people and carried off a great deal of stock. Among those they killed on that raid was Pete Ketchum. Mark Harper and others were on the trail and found the body of Ketchum, but it was so badly disfigured about the face that no one recognized it but Mark Harper, and he at once said, "That is Pete Ketchum, and no mistake." The body was carried to the house of old man Daniel Moore, who was his father-in-law. The Indians were followed on down towards the Chicon, and the settlers were there joined by Big Foot Wallace, who was placed in command. These same Indians killed a young man named Long and scalped one of his sisters, thinking they had killed her, but she recovered and afterwards married "Seco" Smith. They also killed a Negro, besides other white people, and gathered up many horses. Quite a lot of settlers, among whom was Lon, continued the pursuit under Wallace, overtook the Indians at the head of Seco, defeated them, and brought all of the horses back.

      The Indians made a raid in the Hondo Valley again during the Civil war and killed a boy named Hood, who lived at the Redus ranch. The settlers followed them into the mountains and were joined in Sabinal Canyon by a squad of rangers under command of Lieutenant Patton of Captain Montel's company. Lon Moore was with the rangers and belonged to the company. The Indians were found in camp in the mountains. There were fifteen of them and twenty of the rangers and settlers. The charge was made on them with loud shouts. The Indians strung their bows and tried to out yell the whites, but did not succeed, and soon ran, leaving four of the number dead on the ground, ---- the chief, one squaw, and two warriors. Lon ran close to one Indian and shot him with a pistol, breaking his leg, and he fell off a bluff. Moore leaped off after him, but made a narrow escape, as the wounded savage made a dangerous thrust at him with a lance, but the active young ranger sprang to one side and shot the Indian three times more, and killed him. He and others ran one Indian some distance and shot him repeatedly with pistols, but could not hill him. After the fight he told the men he had killed the chief, and showed them where he lay. Lon the tried to scalp him, but his knife was dull and he made slow progress. Some of the men told him it was not his knife but his heart that had failed him, but he finally got if off. The Indians had killed his brother n law, Pete Ketchum, and mutilated his face by cutting off his nose and skinning off the beard, and then, not being dead, dragged him through the prickly pears until life was extinct.

      The men gathered up the spoils of the Indian camp, among which were twelve American saddles taken from men whom they had killed. Lon got a knife from the chief which had belonged to the boy Hood, whom they killed at the Redus ranch. It was brought back and given to the boy's mother. A party went back to this battleground some time after, who were not in the fight, to look at the dead Indians, and said the bodies of the Indians had been covered with brush. One lone Indian had returned and done this. It had rained since the fight, and all other tracks were obliterated but his, which had been made since the rain. Nearly all of the Indians who got away were wounded. There was so much shooting that Lon said he was as afraid of his own party as the Indians.

      Lon Moore, Big Foot Wallace, and six other men had a running fight with the Indians on the Seco, ten miles below D'Hanis, but they got into the bottom without much damage being done to them, but had to give up the horses they were driving off.

      On one occasion the Indians captured a boy named Monier, on the Francisco, near the Moore ranch. The boy was with his stepfather Monier, and they tried to get to the Moore's, but the Indians cut the boy off and captured him, and he was never heard of again by his people. He went by the name of this stepfather, but his right name is not remember4ed. The Indians were followed to the Llano, but were not overtaken.

      On another occasion a band of Indians was followed by settlers from the Hondo to John Kennedy's ranch, and he was placed in command. The Indians were overtaken at the foot of the mountains at sundown and attacked, but escaped into a cedar brake. These were the Indians that killed Wolf and Huffmann. Lon Moore was of this party, and says no Indian was killed, but they got the horses back, and two saddles, one bow, and arrows. The horses belonged to William Redus.

      During the Civil War the Indians made a raid on the Hondo and killed Rube Smith, one mile west of his house, on Liveoak slough. Smith and Manuel Wydick were out on foot hunting horses and had separated, when a large body of Indians attacked Smith. Wydick from the top of a hill saw them running him, and heard his pistol shots, six in number, but could give him no aid against such odds, and ran in with the news. At this time Lon Moore and Nathan Davis were also out and had separated. Moore heard Smith shooting, but thought it was Davis firing at havilinas. A party went back after Wydick came, and soon found the body of Smith, which they carried home, and raised men to follow the Indians. The Indians numbered about thirty-five, and camped the first night on the Hondo and killed three beeves and partly cooked them. While on the trail the settlers found where a wounded Indian bled on a rock, and strips of Smith's clothing, which had been used for bandages and which had been thrown down, very bloody. Lon Moore afterwards went back to the spot where Smith was killed, under a persimmon tree, and cut his name and date of death on the tree. He also found eight spikes in the trees around the spot where he made his stand to fight them.

      The Indians were overtaken at 12 o'clock on the day following the killing of the beeves. The men along were William Mullins, Nathan Davis, Lon Moore, Jerry Bailey, Manuel Wydick, Roe Watkins, Zed Watkins, Louis McCombs, Sam McCombs, Wesley McCombs, John Brown, and a schoolteacher named Bradford. The place was in a valley not far from the old Fort Ewell road, between San Miguel and Cescadara creeks. The Indians Wheeled around when the white men charged, and the fight commenced. In this first onset the Indians were repulsed and some of their party wounded. The Indians being in large force, the settlers went back in the timber and dismounted to continue the fight there, and sent off two men, John Brown and Louis McCombs, to get the rangers to come and assist them, who were about twenty miles below. In this first charge Lon Moore's horse ran in among the Indians and was shot, and Moore slightly wounded in the arm with an arrow. H shot one Indian at close quarters with a pistol, and he slapped his hand to his breast where the ball struck him. The horse turned when hit and went back to the other men. The Indians retreated in among some rocks. The two men who went after the rangers slipped away without being seen. So the Indians would not pursue them.

      When the white men came into view again the Indians discovered that two of them were missing, and yelled and charged, thinking these two had been killed. The fight lasted off and on all evening. The white men would charge and rout the Indians from the rocks, and then would have to retreat and load, and the Indians would charge and rout them. Many arrows stuck in the trees, and the settlers would pull these out and break them to keep the Indians from getting them in case they had to leave their position. During these charges and countercharges and retreats Nathan Davis was badly wounded with an arrow, which went through the right shoulder, the spike coming out on the opposite side. It was taken out by William Mullins. The horse ridden by Mullins was killed in his tracks with an arrow, which went in at the edge of his saddle skirts, and the spike came through on the opposite side. The horses ridden by Davis, Monroe Watkins, and Bradford were all wounded. At length, during a charge on the part of the Indians, their chief was killed by Mullins, which put an end to the fight. He fell close to the white men, and the Indians made one desperate attempt to recover his body, some of them even grabbing at his hair, but were beaten off. This was a strange fight. The Indians and white men swapped positions time and again, and the loose stolen horses were captured and recaptured as often as they changed. In this way Mullins mounted one of Rube Smiths horses, which both parties were keeping close under cover, Lon Moore and Roe Watkins went out to give the Indians a dare to draw them out, but were fired on without the Indians showing themselves. "Uncle Jerry" Bailey, the oldest man in the crowd, and very brave, would go in front twenty or thirty steps and watch for a chance to shoot, but one time would have been caught if it had not been for Lon Moore. The Indians charged, and the guns being empty, the men mounted to leave the timber and take shelter somewhere else until they could reload, but Uncle Jerry was slow to mount, having to run from his advanced position back to his horse, which, being frightened at the near approach and the loud yelling of the Indians, would not stand. Moore, seeing his critical condition, spurred his horse back and held the other until the old man could mount, and when they wheeled to run some of the Indians were close upon them. The men when they left the timber would make a circle and dismount among the rocks which the Indians had just vacated, and there load their guns. The Indians finally left the battleground and went to a waterhole. One Indian died before they reached the water, and they hung his bow and shield on a limb and threw his body into the waterhole when they reached it. The Indians were followed to a point above Bandera by the rangers, and there they found where five Indians had been buried. Near the graves were two mules and a horse.

      During the war, when Lon Moore was a member of Captain Montel's company of rangers, and expedition against the Indians on a large scale was gotten up. The intention was to invade the stronghold of the Comanches in the northwest. Thirty men were selected from each company on this part of the frontier, making 130 in all, and all under the command of Captain Montel. When the command arrived at a point high up on Devil's River some of the men wanted to come back. Montel stepped out and said, "All those who want to go on come and stand on my right." All of his own company came over and stood by him, and the other men turned back. Montel and his men now went on until they came to a place called the Black Hills, between the head of Devil's River and the Texas line. Here they saw many wigwams in a valley, and the captain said, "Now, all those who are willing to go down in there and fight them step to the right." All responded. "Now, boys," said Montel, "I see that I will have to say go back, you will not do it. I was in hopes you would say go back. There are too many for us."

      The Indians had discovered the presence of the rangers and followed them back to the Colorado, and one night while they were camped ran a thousand or more buffalo through the edge of their camp. The intention was to run them square over the rangers, but they turned. Six pack mules and two saddle horses were cut off, and went with the buffaloes. The design of the Indians was to stamped all the horses and leave the rangers afoot. They followed the trail of the buffalos thirty miles to rescue their stock, but came upon an Indian trail that turned in on the buffalo trail, and knew they would get them, so turned back.

      On this trip they subsisted on the return fifteen days on buffalo meat without bread. They were also without tobacco, and the first place they struck where they could get any was Fort Mason, and they had to pay $2.50 a plug for it in Confederate money.

      Lon has been on fifty Indian scouts and in seven fights, most all of them under Big Foot Wallace.

  • Sources 
    1. [S222] Lineages, Inc., comp. GENE POOL INDIVIDUAL RECORDS. [database online] Provo, UT:, 2000.

    2. [S2] Jacobson, Judy, Alabama & Mississippi Connections, Digital images. Jacobson, Judy. Alabama & Mississippi Connections: Historical & Biographical Sketches of Families Who Settled on Both Sides of the Tombigbee River.

    3. [S234] Marriage Records.
      Hunting For Bears, comp.. Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original data: Mississippi marriage information taken from county courthouse records. Many of these records were extracted from copies of the original records in microfilm, microfiche, or book format, located at the Family History Library.

    4. [S770] Mississippi Marriages, 1800-1911, Emily Lincecum m. Daniel B. Moore 16 Jul 1830, Lowndes County.