Jackson Citizen Patriot (Michigan)
28 November 1896, pg. 3
Digital image viewed online at GenealogyBank.
Transcription by S. Lincecum.


Georgia Woman Kept Her Husband's Body for Months.

New Light on the Subject "Is Marriage a Failure" from This Remarkable Tale
of One Woman's Two Marriages.

Mrs. Joseph Bivins, of Cordele, Ga., died a week or so ago. That would not
be an extraordinary announcement were it not for the fact that her death
concluded a strange exposition of woman's caprice, as unexplainable as it
was unheard of.

When Dr. George W. Marvin died in Cordele, Ga., three years ago, he left a
grief-stricken widow. Her lamentations were long and her sorrow was
unconsolable. She had married Dr. Marvin in Atlanta about ten years before.
He practiced medicine and soon amassed a considerable fortune.

It was in the midst of this prosperity that the doctor died. Mrs. Marvin
was almost heartbroken. Her relatives could not console her. The kind
words of friends failed to soothe in the slightest her poignant grief. She
wept bitterly and continuously.

In the meantime the arrangements for the funeral, which were under way in
charge of some solicitous relative, were being made. So entirely helpless
with grief was the chief mourner that it was thought both unnecessary and
cruel to call her into consultation regarding the last ceremonies. So the
minister was summoned, and when the services at the house were to begin Mrs.
Marvin was quietly notified.

Her reply was a scream of anguish. She became almost hysterical. When she
was able to articulate understandingly she informed the funeral guests that
they were entirely out of place; that there was to be no funeral. She would
not permit the body of her husband to be laid away in the ground, she said,
and no conspiracy of unsympathetic, cold-blooded, heartless persons should
interfere. She announced that she intended to keep Dr. Marvin's body in her
home -- their home -- and that it should remain there forever. She wanted
to have him always in sight.

Finally, under severe pressure, Mrs. Marvin consented to a ceremony over the
body, but refused to authorize the interment. She had the body embalmed,
placed in a casket, and stood it in an upright position in the parlor. A
cut-glass cover, working on hinges, was on the elaborate and handsome
coffin, which is said to have cost $10,000, and she exhibited it to a few
intimate friends.

For three months the casket remained in the parlor, and during that time
Mrs. Marvin was in a state of mind that bordered on hysteria. Every day she
brought fresh flowers as an offering to the memory of her departed, and in
the presence of at least one visitor she kissed the cold cheeks of her
husband and wept in grief-torn sobs. Dr. Marvin looked almost life-like as
he stood upright, and he held in one hand a handsome gold cane, valued at
$150, while in his shirt front were not less than $30,000 worth of diamonds.
None of these were removed, but all were laid to rest with the body at the
end of three months.

As Mrs. Marvin's grief expended itself she listened more calmly to the
advice of her friends, and, much to their delight, finally consented to a

The body of Dr. Marvin was laid to rest, his widow began to improve, and
just ten months later married Mr. Joseph E. Bivins, of Cordele, Ga.

Rose Hill Cemetery Blog

Southern Graves Home
Free Shipping on Ancestry DNA Kit